Four Simple Steps to Adopt a Pet
- Visit the SPCA at 1002 Monterey-Salinas Highway across from WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. Visit with the pet you are interested in adopting to see if his personality fits your lifestyle.
- If you are adopting a new dog and already have one at home, you will need to introduce them at the SPCA to ensure a good match. When adopting, please bring your current dog with you. Our animal care staff will assist you with introducing your current dog to the dog you are hoping to adopt. We also prefer when possible that all family members living in the home meet any new pet before adopting.
- The SPCA adoption process takes approximately 20-30 minutes to complete. All paperwork, vaccination records, and microchip information will be provided at this time.
- Take your new lifelong family member home!
Don’t see that special pet when you visit? Sign up for our Pet Alert Program to receive a text or email when they pet you’re looking for is available for adoption!
We understand that sometimes potential adopters are at work or school, coming from long distances, or need time to gather pets and family together to meet their potential new adoptee. Because of this, the SPCA offers a 24 hour hold on adoptable pets.
- Holds cost $30 for a 24 hour period.
- Hold fees are not applied to the adoption fee and are non-refundable.
- Holds can only be made during regular adoption hours: Monday – Friday 11 am to 5 pm and Saturday-Sunday 11 am to 4 pm.
- The pet will automatically be released from a hold and be adoptable to others if you do not choose to adopt within that 24 hour time period. Back-to-back holds by the same family are not available. If you change your mind before the 24 hour time frame, please contact us.
- During your hold period, the pet will still appear as adoptable on our website with the following additional message: “I’m on hold to meet a new family! Please check back later to see if I am still looking for a new home.”
- Please note: a hold does not guarantee an adoption. We do not offer holds during adoption specials or other major SPCA events.
- Holds can be made in person or over the phone with a credit card. We can be reached at 831-373-2631.
How Much Does it Cost?
Dogs and Puppies:
From $65.00 to $290.00 or more. Includes; spay/neuter surgery, microchip identification, rabies vaccination, Canine Influenza (H3N8) vaccination, and other vaccinations appropriate to age, SPCA identification, health evaluation and more. Learn how this is an amazing value on a lifetime of love.
Cats and Kittens:
From $25.00 to $125.00. Includes; spay/neuter surgery, microchip identification, rabies vaccination and other vaccinations appropriate to age, SPCA identification tag, cardboard pet carrier, health evaluation and more. Learn how this is an amazing value on a lifetime of love.
SPCA Whiskers & Wisdom:
Adults ages 60 years and over can adopt wonderful pets over the age of three for $50 off the adoption fee. Includes spay/neuter surgery, microchip identification, rabies vaccinations and others as appropriate to age and species, SPCA identification and health evaluation. Click here to learn more!
$35.00 includes; spay/neuter surgery and microchip identification.
Rats, Mice, and Hamsters:
Other adoptable animals:
Horses, chickens, pot-bellied pigs, sheep, donkeys, exotic birds, reptiles, and other species are often available for adoption. Call or visit for more information. Click here to fill out our online Horse adoption form (horse adoptions only).
How to Select the Right Pet?
Click here for helpful tips from our SPCA Customer Service Staff to help you pick the best pet for your lifestyle.